RCI Reports 4Q18 and FY18 Results and Files 10-K
HOUSTON – December 31, 2018 – RCI Hospitality Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: RICK) today reported 4Q18 and FY18 results and the filing of its 10-K for the fiscal year ended September 30, 2018.
4Q18 vs. 4Q17
- Loss of $0.27 per share compared to a loss of $0.23
- Non-GAAP* profit of $0.41 per diluted share compared to $0.36
- GAAP results included $5.5 million in other charges compared to $6.2 million in 4Q17, mostly non-cash in both periods
- Free cash flow (FCF) totaled $2.7 million based on net cash provided by operating activities of $3.4 million, less maintenance capital expenditures of $0.7 million
- Total revenues of $40.7 million compared to $39.2 million on 43 and 45 units, respectively
FY18 vs. FY17
- Diluted EPS of $2.23 compared to $0.85
- Non-GAAP Diluted EPS of $2.18 compared to $1.43
- FCF totaled $23.2 million based on net cash provided by operating activities of $25.8 million, less maintenance capital expenditures of $2.5 million
- Total revenues of $165.7 million compared to $144.9 million
FY19 Initial Outlook
- FY19 is expected to benefit from, in addition to other factors, recent nightclub acquisitions in Chicago and Pittsburgh, the opening of additional Bombshells Restaurant & Bar locations in the Houston area, and the sale or lease of non-income producing properties.
Conference Call Today at 4:30 PM ET
- A conference call to discuss 4Q18 results, outlook and related matters will be held today, December 31, 2018, at 4:30 PM ET
- Live Participant Dial In: Toll Free at 877-407-9210 and International at 201-689-8049
- To access the live webcast, slides or replay, visit: https://www.investornetwork.com/event/presentation/41443
- Phone replay: Toll Free at 877-481-4010 and International at 919-882-2331 (Passcode: 41443)
"We performed well in Fiscal 2018," said Eric Langan, President & CEO. "Revenues increased 14.4%, a combination of 4.6% in consolidated same-store sales and solid results from our club acquisitions and new Bombshells. The only challenge was a number of one-time factors that affected Bombshells growth in 4Q18, but we're in the process of rebuilding and it's headed in the right direction. FY18 free cash flow exceeded our original target of $23 million, and non-GAAP EPS diluted increased 52.4% to $2.18.
"During the fourth quarter, which is our seasonally weakest period, revenues increased 3.7%, a combination of 2.1% in consolidated same-store sales and contributions from acquisitions and new restaurants. FCF was $2.7 million, and non-GAAP EPS diluted of $0.41 increased 13.9% year over year.
"FY19 should benefit from the Chicago and Pittsburgh acquisitions, the opening of new Bombshells in the Houston area, the sale or lease of non-income producing properties, and other factors. Blush and VIP's, both to be rebranded Rick's Cabaret, have performed well since their November acquisitions, while the new Bombshells has also performed well since opening December 19th.
"For the first two months of 1Q19, Nightclubs total and comparable same store-sales increased year over year, while Bombshells total sales increased compared to the first two months of 4Q18. Bombshells will have challenging year over year same-store comparisons because of extra business generated in October 2017 when the Houston Astros were in the pro baseball championship. 1Q19 club and restaurant sales are scheduled to be announced January 10, 2019. We'll hold a related conference call that day.
"Now that we've reported results, we'll resume our capital allocation strategy as it applies to buybacks. That calls for repurchasing shares in the open market if the yield on our FCF run rate relative to our market cap approaches or exceeds double digits. With an FCF run rate of $26 million that would correspond to a share price of approximately $27. As of September 30, 2018, we had $3.1 million in remaining share repurchase authorization."
- Philadelphia: In October 2018, subsidiaries sold the former Club Onyx gentlemen's club business for $1.0 million ($375K cash and 10-year note at 9%), and entered into a 10-year triple net lease with the new club's owners to rent the real estate.
- Chicago: In November 2018, a subsidiary acquired VIP's Gentlemen's Club and associated real estate. With its ability to generate $2 million annually in adjusted EBITDA, the club was acquired for $2.0 million cash and $4.5 million in seller financing, and the associated real estate for $4.0 million cash.
- Pittsburgh: In November 2018, a subsidiary acquired Blush Gentlemen's Club & Sports Bar and associated real estate. With its ability to generate $3 million-plus annually in adjusted EBITDA, the club was acquired for $2.5 million cash and $7.5 million in seller financing, and the associated real estate for $5.0 million cash.
- Houston: In December 2018, a subsidiary opened a Bombshells Restaurant & Bar on I-10 East, the chain's 7th location. Three more Houston area units are under construction: US 249 in Tomball (north of the city) should open February 2019; Katy (west of the city) in April-May 2019; and US 59 (southwest Houston) in May-June 2019.
- Debt Financing: In 4Q18, $3.1 million was borrowed from banks to acquire club real estate in Philadelphia and finance Bombshells land acquisition in the Houston area, and $5.0 million was borrowed from a bank and $2.8 million from third parties to finance part of the cash needed to complete the Pittsburgh and Chicago club and real estate acquisitions.
4Q18 & FY18 REVIEW
All comparisons to year ago periods unless otherwise noted
- 4Q18: Total revenues of $40.7 million increased 3.7%. Growth reflected 2.1% increase in consolidated same-store sales and contributions from new units, namely Bombshells Restaurant & Bar in Pearland (just south of Houston), which opened in April, and Kappa Men's Club in Central Illinois, acquired in May. By revenue line, growth reflected increases of $629K (+4.2%) in service revenues, $472K (+9.3%) in food, and $434K (+16.3%) in other. The increase in other reflected the revitalization of the Drink Robust business and a strong Gentlemen's Club Expo trade show in August.
- FY18: Total revenues of $165.7 million increased 14.4%. Growth reflected 4.6% increase in consolidated same-store sales and contributions from new units, namely Scarlett's Cabarets in St. Louis and Miami, which were acquired in 3Q17; Bombshells on Highway 290 in Houston, which opened in July 2017; and Bombshells in Pearland and Kappa Men's Club as mentioned above. By revenue line, growth reflected increases of $8.7 million (+14.4%) in beverage, $6.0 million (+10.3%) in service, $4.2 million (+22.9%) in food, and $2.0 million (+25.1%) in other.
- 4Q18: Operating income increased 6.8% to $1.5 million (3.8% of revenues) from $1.4 million (3.7%). Expenses increased $1.4 million, but as a percent of revenues, declined 11 basis points to 96.2%. Most of the dollar increase was due to state sales tax settlements. Other charges, consisting primarily of year-end impairments and loss on sale of assets, decreased $707K. On a non-GAAP basis, operating income was $7.1 million (17.6%) compared to $7.7 million (19.7%). The difference was largely due to the fact that our non-GAAP methodology does not exclude sales tax settlements.
- FY18: Operating income increased 22.7% to $28.4 million (17.1% of revenues) from $23.1 million (16.0%). Operating expenses increased $15.6 million, but as a percent of revenues, declined 116 basis points to 82.9%. Other charges increased $1.0 million due to lawsuit settlements. On a non-GAAP basis, operating income increased 20.6% to $37.0 million (22.3%) from $30.7 million (21.2%).
- 4Q18: Sales increased 3.9% to $34.1 million, with 37 units compared to 40. Same-store sales increased 6.1%. Operating income increased 36.7% to $6.6 million (19.4% of sales) from $4.8 million (14.7%) primarily due to lower club impairments as mentioned above. On a non-GAAP basis, operating income increased 8.5% to $10.8 million (31.6%) from $9.9 million (30.2%).
- FY18: Sales increased 12.3% to $140.1 million. Same-store sales increased 5.8%. Operating income increased 26.5% to $44.5 million (31.7% of sales) from $35.1 million (28.2%) primarily due to lower club impairments as mentioned above. On a non-GAAP basis, operating income increased 19.1% to $49.1 million (35.1%) from $41.2 million (33.1%).
- 4Q18: Sales were approximately level at $5.5 million, with 6 units compared to 5. Comparable same-store sales declined 21.3%, but that was offset by the addition of the Bombshells in Pearland. Operating income was a loss of $1.2 million (-21.8% of sales) compared to a profit of $0.953 million (17.2%). The operating loss reflected $1.4 million to write down fixed and other assets, partially offset by a small profit. On a non-GAAP basis, operating income was $183K (3.3%) compared to $933K (16.8%).
- FY18: Sales increased 28.0% to $24.1 million compared to $18.8 million. Comparable same-store sales declined 3.3%, which was more than offset by the addition of Bombshells in Pearland. Operating income declined 33.9% to $2.0 million (8.5% of sales) compared to $3.1 million (16.4%). On a non-GAAP basis, operating income was $3.6 million (15.1%) compared to $3.1 million (16.4%).
- Cash and cash equivalents of $17.7 million at September 30, 2018 increased 34.6% from $13.2 million at June 30, 2018 and 78.7% from $9.9 million at September 30, 2017. The year-end cash position included proceeds from debt later used to finance the two November club and related real estate acquisitions.
- Occupancy costs (rent and interest expense as a percentage of total revenues) fell to 7.8% from 9.2%, 4Q18 vs. 4Q17, and to 7.7% from 8.3%, FY18 vs. FY17.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $9.0 million in 4Q18 compared to $9.6 million in 4Q17 and increased 18.8% to $44.4 million in FY18 from $37.3 million in FY17.
- Effective Tax Rate for FY18 was a benefit of 16.7%, which included the benefit of $8.8 million as a final calculation of the reduction of deferred tax liability as a consequence of the new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. The FY18 ETR resulted in a 4Q18 income tax increase to adjust for the year. On a non-GAAP basis, FY18 ETR was an expense of 24.5%, which resulted in a 4Q18 income tax reduction to adjust for the year.
- RCI's FY19 FCF Target of $26 million is based on estimated net cash provided by operating activities of approximately $29 million, less projected maintenance capex of approximately $3 million.
*Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In addition to our financial information presented in accordance with GAAP, management uses certain non-GAAP financial measures, within the meaning of the SEC Regulation G, to clarify and enhance understanding of past performance and prospects for the future. Generally, a non-GAAP financial measure is a numerical measure of a company's operating performance, financial position or cash flows that excludes or includes amounts that are included in or excluded from the most directly comparable measure calculated and presented in accordance with GAAP. We monitor non-GAAP financial measures because it describes the operating performance of the company and helps management and investors gauge our ability to generate cash flow, excluding (or including) some items that management believes are not representative of the ongoing business operations of the company, but are included in (or excluded from) the most directly comparable measures calculated and presented in accordance with GAAP. Relative to each of the non-GAAP financial measures, we further set forth our rationale as follows:
- Non-GAAP Operating Income and Non-GAAP Operating Margin. We calculate non-GAAP operating income and non-GAAP operating margin by excluding the following items from income from operations and operating margin: amortization of intangibles, gain on settlement of patron tax case, gains or losses on sale of assets, impairment of assets, stock-based compensation, settlement of lawsuits, and gain on insurance. We believe that excluding these items assists investors in evaluating period-over-period changes in our operating income and operating margin without the impact of items that are not a result of our day-to-day business and operations.
- Non-GAAP Net Income and Non-GAAP Net Income per Diluted Share. We calculate non-GAAP net income and non-GAAP net income per diluted share by excluding or including certain items to net income attributable to RCIHH common shareholders and diluted earnings per share. Excluded items are: amortization of intangibles, gain on settlement of patron tax case, income tax expense (benefit), impairment charges, gains or losses on sale of assets, stock-based compensation, settlement of lawsuits, costs and charges related to debt refinancing, and gain on insurance. Included item is the non-GAAP provision for current and deferred income taxes, calculated as the tax effect at 24.5%, 37%, and 35% in 2018, 2017, and 2016, respectively, effective tax rate of the pre-tax non-GAAP income before taxes. We believe that excluding and including such items help management and investors better understand our operating activities.
- Adjusted EBITDA. We calculate adjusted EBITDA by excluding the following items from net income attributable to RCIHH common shareholders: depreciation expense, amortization of intangibles, impairment of assets, income tax expense (benefit), interest expense, interest income, gains or losses on sale of assets, settlement of lawsuits, gain on settlement of patron tax case, and gain on insurance. We believe that adjusting for such items helps management and investors better understand our operating activities. Adjusted EBITDA provides a core operational performance measurement that compares results without the need to adjust for federal, state and local taxes which have considerable variation between domestic jurisdictions. The results are, therefore, without consideration of financing alternatives of capital employed. We use adjusted EBITDA as one guideline to assess the unleveraged performance return on our investments. Adjusted EBITDA is also the target benchmark for our acquisitions of nightclubs.
- Management also uses non-GAAP cash flow measures such as free cash flow. Free cash flow is derived from net cash provided by operating activities less maintenance capital expenditures. We use free cash flow as the baseline for the implementation of our capital allocation strategy.
- Unit counts above are at period end.
- All references to the "company," "we," "our," and similar terms include RCI Hospitality Holdings, Inc. and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
- Planned opening dates are subject to change due to weather, which could affect construction schedules, and scheduling of final municipal inspections.
About RCI Hospitality Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: RICK)
With more than 40 units, RCI Hospitality Holdings, Inc., through its subsidiaries, is the country's leading company in gentlemen's clubs and sports bars/restaurants. Clubs in New York City, Chicago, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, and other markets operate under brand names, such as Rick's Cabaret, XTC, Club Onyx, Vivid Cabaret, Jaguars, Tootsie's Cabaret, and Scarlett's Cabaret. Sports bars/restaurants operate under the brand name Bombshells Restaurant & Bar. Please visit http://www.rcihospitality.com
This press release may contain forward-looking statements that involve a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause the company's actual results to differ materially from those indicated in this press release, including the risks and uncertainties associated with operating and managing an adult business, the business climates in cities where it operates, the success or lack thereof in launching and building the company's businesses, risks and uncertainties related to cybersecurity, conditions relevant to real estate transactions, and numerous other factors such as laws governing the operation of adult entertainment businesses, competition and dependence on key personnel. The company has no obligation to update or revise the forward-looking statements to reflect the occurrence of future events or circumstances.
Media & Investor Contacts
Gary Fishman and Steven Anreder at 212-532-3232 or [email protected] and [email protected]